Poland’s Prime Minister Beata Szydło declared she will not back down after the EU threatened the member state for failing to meet migrant quotas.
The Prime Minster told a press conference today her country will continue with a “prudent and reasonable migrant policy”.
She said: “The Polish government under my leadership, from the moment we took responsibility for Poland, said it will not accept this resolution as we consider it bad for Europe.
Ms Szydło added that failing to adequately deal with the migrant crisis has led to only 27 members remaining within the EU – alluding strongly to Brexit.
On Tuesday a source said Poland and Hungary’s anti-migrant stance threatened their position within the bloc.
By the end of the year the European Court of Justice will scrutinise the legality of migrant quotas – but is expected to rule in their favour.
Brussels has ruled Poland has to accept 6,200 migrants into the country by 2017 which the country has so far failed to do so.
“If they don’t then they will face consequences, both financial and political.
The Polish Prime Minister made it clear in her message that no member state has met the quotas which in her opinion were damaging to the EU.
She concluded: “I can calmly say Poland will continue a prudent and reasonable migrant policy.”