On the 18th July, 1920 a new monument was unveiled: 750,000 war dead were commemorated with the unveiling of a new national monument in Whitehall, London – The Cenotaph.
The Cenotaph takes its name from the Greek words kenos and taphos meaning empty tomb.
Designed by Edwin Lutyens, the permanent structure was built from Portland stone bby Holland, Hannen & Cubitts, replacing Lutyens’ earlier wood-and-plaster cenotaph in the same location.
Our Glorious Dead – Gone, but Never Forgot. May they forever Rest in Peace