The Chapel of the Templars, the only remains of a Templar Commandery founded in the twelfth century, is located in the Arsenal district in Metz.
The chapel Templar Metz was built between 1180 and 1220. It is now the only remnant of the Commandery of the Templars. It is the only existing specimen church rotunda in Lorraine.
Reminiscent of the Rhenish School of Aachen, or homage to the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, the center plane is typically Templar. The architecture of this building is on the border between the Romanesque, which it retains the thick walls and narrow arched windows and Gothic art, which it adopts on ribbed vaulting.
The sculpted keystone shows the dove of the Holy Spirit. The warheads are based on slender columns with carved capitals involved. Some of the capitals are decorated with scrolls to lilies.
The chapel has an octagonal central plan and measures 8.30 m in diameter. It has a square choir ends in a small vaulted apse-dome. The choir, vaulted warheads, is lower than the octagonal nave. The thick walls of the seven sides of the octagon are recessed niches with apses shallow, not exposed to the outside.
These characteristics remind the rotunda of St. Gereon, the transept of St. Apostles in Cologne, the ambulatory and aisles Heisterbach or the chapel of the Commandery of Laon.
Arched bays are open halfway up in each pan walls. Inside, all the walls are covered with murals, partially restored between 1910 and 1913 by the painter Schwarting Hanover, according to the draft Hermann Schaper.
The ancient frescos are highly degraded, however, remain visible. These frescoes date from the first half of the fourteenth century. Outside, two trefoil arches to enfeux, later, occupy a corner of the octagon. In contrast to the choir, the pan outside bears traces of an ancient arched vaulting. This arch indicates the location of a now extinct body building, originally housing a chapter house to embellished painted decoration. In this arcade opens a door, the door lintel carved the cross pattée characteristic of the Templars.
During the construction of the citadel of Metz in 1556, the Commandery is destroyed except the chapter house, refectory or the Templars, which is covered with a painted wooden ceiling and which, although qu’ornée frescoes, was razed in 1904.
The chapel escapes destruction. It serves as a store of powder and lead. It is classified historical monuments from the first list of 1840. Following the construction of the military arsenal in 1861, she again escaped demolition thanks to the intervention of Prosper Mérimée, then inspector general of historical monuments.
In 1882, restoration works are underway to install a military telegraph station. In 1905, the Army sold the building to the city of Metz10. The chapel underwent several restoration campaigns in 1864, 1908 and 19278.
In 1957, the city of Metz rents the chapel at the Ministry of Defence to the needs of the military chaplaincy. On June 9, 1990, it finds the appearance of the original chapel of the Commandery. It now serves as an exhibition hall.