This is a must see! This is not just another simple castle – it is a masterpiece – the Knights Templar’s Convent of Christ.
The convent was founded by the Order of Poor Knights of the Temple (or Templar Knights) in 1118.
Its construction continued until the final part of the 12th century with the construction of the oratory, in one of the angles of the castle, completed by the Grand Master D. Gualdim Pais (sometime around 1160).
The castle became an integral part of the defence system created by the Templars to secure the border of the young Christian Kingdom against the Moors, which at the time occupied the area to approximately the Tagus River.